Have you ever been chased by someone in your dreams? Been naked in public? Flown like a bird around a city? Or just felt utterly lost in a maze-like building? There are twelve basic dream patterns that all of us dream, regardless of who we are, what we do or where we live.
Olessia Kantor of EnigmaLife.com
An in-depth knowledge of our characters enriches every story we write. Most writers begin with a detailed Character Traits worksheet. Whether you use every item on your worksheet in your story isn’t as important as getting to know the heart of your fictional characters. Once you have a firm connection with and understanding of WHO they are, it makes the labor or drafting your story easier: you know how they will react to event or obstacles, you’ll know what they might retort and what they’d never say. You know what they’ll eat in a restaurant, or why the color chartreuse makes them crimson with fury. Even better, when you’re stuck, looking for ways to add tension or motivation, looking deeply into your characters’ hearts and minds helps uncover possible plot turns, arcs, and revelations.
Dream interpretation guru Olessia Kantor, founder of EnigmaLife.com explains, “Universal dreams are shaped by local forces in your life.” Your character s dream could be influenced by four things:
- His/her biological heritage
- His/her general cultural heritage
- His/her local subculture
- His/her personal experience
There are 12 universal dream patterns that all of us dream:
1. Being chased and attacked/Being in love or embraced: Often these dreams occur when you are trying to understand circumstances that you cannot overcome.
2. Getting injured or dying/Getting healed or reborn: Reflect the dreamer passing from one stage of life to another.
3. Having vehicle trouble: These dreams indicate you may be overspending energy on a situation
4. Damaged or lost property or on fire/Property improvements: Reflections on personal changes
5. Poor performance/Outstanding performance: To pass or fail at something important to you
6. Being naked or inappropriately dressed/Looking great: You feel concerned about other people s judgment or opinions.
7. Missing transportation/Happily traveling: This dream denotes your life s journey
8. Machine malfunctions/No malfunctions: Points to a passive approach to life, giving others your power
9. Natural disasters/Natural beauty: Reflect an appreciation for the world and happiness
10. Being lost or trapped/Finding new places: Indicates you are struggling to find a sense of direction or are losing your internal compass
11. Haunted by the dead/Guided by the dead: There is unfinished business with a loved one
12. Falling or drowning/Flying or swimming: The dream is facing a major choice they must make that defines personal failure or success
Olessia provides free personalized dream analysis via her website, EnigmaLife.com. Former journalist Olessia Kantor went on to become an art historian, a gemologist, an entrepreneur, and always a storyteller. “I have a passion for the unknown, for mysteries, for the enigmas in our world.” Follow Olessia on Twitter @EnigmaLifeWorld, or email her at OK@enigmalife.com.